On July 14th, the One Prize jury met to narrow down the competition’s 30 semifinalists to four finalists: one winner and three honorable mentions. Where were they? At the AIA New York Chapter: Center for Architecture, busily discussing the merits of the top proposals. Take a look at the jury in action:
The results of the jury panel meeting have been tabulated, the press release is getting readied for an e-mail blast, and finally the winners of One Prize 2011 can be seen at oneprize.org/1winners.html –
Ali Fard and Ghazal Jafari, Canada
RUX Design, LLC, USA
Russell Greenberg, Christopher Beardsley, and Joseph Corsi
Enhancement of Estuary and Ecological System
Cooper Union Institute for Sustainable Design, USA
Arnold Wu, Kevin Bone, Paul Deppe, Joe Levine, Sunnie Joh, Raye Levine, Al Appleton, and Zulaikha Ayub
Jeffrey Troutman, Dustin Buck, Kendall Goodman, and Paul McBride
It has been a long way coming and we’ve seen all kinds of fantastic proposals from all the teams. Congratulations to all of our entrants and stay tuned for the press release, awards show, and much more!
Terreform ONE is very pleased to announce the semifinalists of:
Water as the 6th Borough: Open International Design Competition to Envision the Sixth Borough of
New York City
The competition called for ideas for the NYC Blue Network and E3NYC, The World Largest Clean Tech Expo. The propositions ranged from: expanding waterborne transportation, linking the five boroughs with transit
hubs, incorporating ferries, water taxis, bike shares, electric car-shares, and electric shuttle buses, as well as
providing in-water recreation, educational events, cultural activities, pavilion halls, and climate resilience.
From here, the jury has a really difficult job to select the winners. The semifinalists will remain anonymous
until the winners are announced. The jury panel, chaired by NYC Planning Commissioner Amanda Burden
will meet in a closed session on July 14, 2011 at the AIA New York Chapter: Center for Architecture. The
winners are going to be announced on July 28, 2011.
The finalists will be featured on oneprize.org, terreform.org and our media sponsors. The One Prize Exhibition
and award Ceremony will take place in the fall of 2011.
Congratulations to all of our semifinalists!
Our DEADLINE for LATE REGISTRATIONS and SUBMISSIONS is now JUNE 15, 2011. Keep those registrations coming!
Our REGISTRATION DEADLINE has been moved from April 30, 2011 to May 31, 2011. Enter to win now!
Here’s just some of the really cool stuff they do!
Kate Ascher, Adjunct Professor, Wagner School, NYU
- Published The Works, an illustrated guide to New York City’s infrastructure
Adrian Benepe, Commissioner, NYC Department of Parks & Recreation
- Bringing waterfront parks, greenways and flowers to our city
Amanda Burden, FAICP, Chair, New York City Planning Commission
- You can thank her for the High Line!
Wellington Chen, Executive Director, Chinatown Partnership LDC
- Cofounded Tri Plus Construction Corporation in 1989, a company dedicated to creating affordable housing in New York City
Michael Colgrove, Director of Energy Program, NYSERDA NYC Office
- Helping local residents and businesses take on today’s energy challenges through the use of efficient equipment and systems
James Corner, Principal, James Corner Field Operations
- Chair and professor of Landscape Architecture at the University of Pennsylvania, School of Design
Helena Durst, Vice President, The Durst Organization Inc.
- Participated in the construction and management of The Epic, The Helena, and One Bryant Park
David Gouverneur, Professor, Department of Landscape Architecture, UPenn
- Cofounder of the Urban Design program and Director of the Mayor’s Institute in Urban Design at Universidad Metropolitana, in Caracas, Venezuela
Matthias Hollwich, Co-founder, Architizer and HWKN
- Creator of an international conference on aging and architecture: New Aging
Bjarke Ingels, Founding Partner, BIG – Bjarke Ingels Group
- Recipient of the Golden Lion at the Venice Biennale and Forum AID Award; rated as one of the 100 most creative people in business by New York-based Fast Company magazine
Roland Lewis, President and CEO, Metropolitan Waterfront Alliance
- Dedicated to making the New York and New Jersey harbor and waterways accessible, healthy, and vibrant
Victoria Marshall, Director of Urban Design, Parsons the New School for Design
- Her scholarly focus linking design, drawing, and science is part of the Baltimore Ecosystem Study Urban Design Working Group
Roberta Weisbrod, Ph.D., Principal, Sustainable Ports
- Coordinates the project for ferry safety in developing nations for the international ferry association, Interferry
The Waterfront Action Agenda [PDF] is the three year implementation component of Vision 2020: New York City Comprehensive Waterfront Plan. The Action Agenda establishes a set of actions for realizing the New York City waterfront and waterways as a world-class destination, a globally competitive port, and a rich and vital natural resource that draws all New Yorkers to its edge and onto the water.
We are thrilled to announce our final jury for One Prize 2011!
Commissioner Amanda Burden, Chair of the NYC Planning Commission, has agreed to chair a dynamic selection of jury members for the ONE PRIZE 2011 Award, an open international design competition to envision Water as the Sixth Borough of New York City.
Amanda Burden, an urban planner and civic activist, is Chair of the New York City Planning Commission and Director of the Department of City Planning. Since her appointment in 2002, she has spearheaded Mayor Bloomberg’s economic development initiatives with comprehensive urban design master plans, catalyzing commercial and residential development throughout the city and reclaiming the waterfront.
This year, Commissioner Burden will be joined by a distinguished panel of thinkers and designers, including:
- Kate Ascher, Vornado Realty Trust in Manhattan
- Adrian Benepe, NYC Department of Parks & Recreation
- Wellington Chen, Chinatown Partnership LDC
- Michael Colgrove, NYSERDA NYC Office
- James Corner, James Corner Field Operations
- Helena Durst, The Durst Organization Inc.
- David Gouverneur, Department of Landscape Architecture, UPenn
- Matthias Hollwich, Architizer and HWKN
- Bjarke Ingels, BIG – Bjarke Ingels Group
- Roland Lewis, Metropolitan Waterfront Alliance
- Victoria Marshall, Parsons the New School for Design
- Roberta Weisbrod, Ph.D., Sustainable Ports
View the official jury page here.